Search This Blog

Sunday 21 June 2009

A winning mind

Salve.

Some weeks are good, some are middling, some could have gone better. Last week for Cicero could have been better but Cicero is not going to dwell here on what happened. Instead he will focus yet again on providing you with intelligent wit and keen insight. As always I hope it helps.

I read a book this week. Now don’t all cheer at once, I can and do read the learning from others if I think it might help and stretch my mind. I know it’s unlikely but from time to time I do come across a book that does. This one did and I thought I would share some of my new found learning with you.

The book I read, and it was in normal sized print, with a long and complex sentence construction and with no pictures, was written by a leading sportsman and set out to explore the parallels between training for a major sporting competition or running a business, big or small. And I feel inspired.

At the heart of the book is the need to ensure that we all have a vision for ourselves and for those around us. And this is what to cling onto for dear life, even when the going gets especially difficult. Stay true to the vision, unhindered by other’s expectations or limitations, and success will follow.

I was struck by this and if you think about it the vision is not about the how but the why and is what will motivate us and our teams to succeed. As the book points out, the London 2012 bid was not won by the hows of great project management or commercial management (fortunately) but what kept the team working day and night, at times against ferocious odds, was the opportunity to change and enhance the lives of future generations.

There is no need for a corporate claptrap kind of vision full of grandiose and nihilistic eloquence. Try something simple for you and those around you. Something that works for you and your people. As I have said previously try making fun the most fun you can have with your clothes on. As good a vision as anything else I have read in my so called professional career.

In addition to having a vision, there are also a number of key measures to be applied to ensure the development of a winning mind in sport or in our business lives.

Firstly set your goals and ensure early attention to detail. But always remember that human error tends to be the norm. An effective leader will be aware of this and will anticipate that problems will occur.

Secondly assume the worst will happen, plan accordingly and ensure you remain in control.

Thirdly great leaders listen to not only what is being said but also to what is not being said. They can intuitively tune in to and read the sub text. And how I wish I could do that?

In any endeavour there are no guarantees to success but it is clear that if we start from a winning position with a winning mind we and our teams will be far more likely to achieve our aims, our goals, great business results, however we choose to define those.

For me it was very enlightening to learn that success comes from set back and failure as much as anything else and given the setbacks and failures I encounter, there must be hope for me yet. The advice of the book is to make sure we understand and absorb the lessons life throws at us, to remain focused on our goals and vision, to ensure we continually challenge ourselves, and no matter how insurmountable the odds or difficulties, to commit fully, for the results may surprise us. I am going to try this.

And a final quote from my new found mentor and guru, for even I need one of those:

‘Those with a winning mentality are often more prepared to listen to criticism and to do things in a new way….to keep driving forward’.

Cicero now resolves to take the bucket loads of criticism he receives, and I am sure that my surprise you, and to apply such feedback in a new and positive way. For Cicero feedback will be the fuel to propel him to reach the stars. Time for you to put Cicero to the test on this and watch him go.

By the way the author of the book and the owner of the winning mind is Seb Coe. Not a bad example and inspiration for us all, even me.

Is it only me?

Did you hear about the latest attempted absurdity from our health and safety gauleiters? Complaints have been made about an ad for Diet Coke in which Duffy, the greatest Welsh singing sensation since Max Boyce, cycles through a shop. Seemingly the bike had no lights and she was not wearing reflective clothing. It’s an ad, for God’s sake. It is about the promotion of an image, a dream, an aspiration. It requires us to suspend our imagination. Are the health and safety obsessives incapable of suspending reality for the duration of a 30 second TV ad? Is not possible for those suffering from H&S OCD to get a life? Can they not get out more?

On this occasion common sense triumphed and the complaints, for there was more than one, indeed there were more than 20 suffering from the same level of obsessive and compulsive behaviour, were thrown out but I don’t doubt similar nonsense will be back. We were lucky this time but the H&S police need only be lucky once and our way of life will be gone forever. Whatever happened to common sense?

It might just be me but personally I don’t in any way support cycling through shops, even if you are wearing reflective clothing, a hard hat and on a bike festooned with more lights than the Trafalgar Sq Xmas tree. Even I recognise that’s a threat to health and safety. I feel a complaint coming on.


Have a great week

Sit felix. Et sit fortunatus.

No comments: