Search This Blog

Saturday 1 August 2009

Sock it to me!!!!


I must say I am so glad that I took your advice and turned on the ability to leave feedback and comment on my warm words of wit and wisdom.

And thank you for the comments and feedback. My apologies if these are not appearing as fast as you would like. All comments will be published, if clean and constructive, but I am trying to protect you as well. Be patient.

A few weeks back while attempting to create some space in my private apartments so that I could I fill it up with more junk and bric a brac, I came across a very old pair of rugby socks that I last wore while at school which was a very long time ago. These socks have been with me on my life journey. They have shared my many ups and few downs. They have survived umpteen house moves. And travelled a great distance with me. And they survived too my latest cull of unwanted possessions and belongings.

Now it is unlikely that I am ever going to wear these socks again, and indeed given my passion for self preservation, it is unlikely that my silky skills will ever grace a rugby pitch again. And these socks are not exactly the most attractive apparel in my wardrobe. They are heavy woollen socks in a tasteful brown and gold hooped pattern. So why am I keeping them?

These socks were publicly presented to me at a school assembly in front of my friends and peers when I first played for the school’s first fifteen, the top rugby team in the whole school. And it was a tradition at this alma mater that you got your first first fifteen socks at school assembly.

Sounds quaint now but for a gauche callow lanky acne ridden scholar, and that was just one of my friends, this was a big deal. I had made it. And I had been recognised for what I had achieved in front of my peers and my friends. I felt great. I felt proud. And at that moment I would have run through brick walls for my school, for my team, for my mates.

It was only a pair of socks but these socks meant so much to me. And they still do. And I am willing to bet that in the recesses of your drawers and cupboards you too have something that you treasure for a similar reason. A swimming certificate? Your cycling proficiency certificate? A Blue Peter badge? Or even a Crackerjack pencil? Do let me know if you have something interesting.

I was reminded of these darned socks last week when, in my top secret state bunker with malfunctioning lifts, you know the one, I publicly praised and thanked two people blessed with the opportunity to work with Cicero as he strives to ensure that all can sleep safely in their beds at night. Over the past few weeks these two blessed individuals had done some brilliant work and put in extra special effort. Far more than I could reasonably have expected them to do. Their efforts were amazing and it was the least I could do, and of course it costs me nothing, to notice what they had done and to recognise their efforts in front of their peers and co-workers. And by the way, when exactly did this phrase of American origin creep over to these shores?

So what is the connection between my smelly old socks and state bureaucrats?

We all love to be publicly recognised. We know how good it feels. And whether this is done in a low key low fuss way or through a big drum beating junket, recognition is good. So why do we seem to stop doing it when we get to work? I hear that in some businesses recognition, praise and thank you is as rare these days as a profitable bank or a sensible health and safety manager. Maybe we are shy, we feel awkward, we worry we might look soft. But as leaders we must set aside such thoughts and focus our attention on doing what is right for our people and for our business.

We are all quite simple souls really, though I would, of course, exempt myself from this general description. Praise us for doing a good job and we are far more likely to do it again. If nobody seems to care whether we are doing a good job or not then we’ll probably do just enough to get by. Taking a view that “you’re paid to do this stuff so that should be reward enough” isn’t going to create a team of winners. Nor is it going to create a team who want to put in that extra effort, to go the extra mile, to do more than they are paid to, for you, their team mates, for the business. And remember that to your people, you as their leader are the business. If nobody praises them when they do the “right thing” it shouldn’t be a surprise if they don’t do it as often as we would like

And so this week coming, find the opportunity to publicly recognise someone for a job well done. I can’t promise that your words will endure like my rugby socks but, like the presentation of these socks to me, the impact on discretionary effort will amaze you. Go sock it to them.

Is it only me?

One day last week I was travelling to work in my top secret state bunker and I just happened to read that more than 50,000 new jobs are being ‘created’ using taxpayers money for 18-25 year olds not in a job. Now is not for Cicero to question the ability of any government to create jobs, Tommy Cooper-like, just like that , Cicero is an orator and no economist.

And nor is it for Cicero to seek to score political points off the back of this announcement, for Cicero is strictly apolitical.

However one thing does confuse me about this announcement. It may only be me, but I thought we had age discrimination laws in this country.

Cicero must at this point declare a vested interest. I do not fit comfortably within this age demographic so this might be seen by you as sour grapes from one unable to take advantage of such taxpayer funded generosity. However imagine the furore if any other employer was to recruit on basis of age and that anyone over the age of 25 need not apply.

If my memory serves me correctly, and it usually does, people took up arms in the 17th century because their ruler thought he was above the law. Do our current rulers now think they are above the law too? I think we should be told.

Have a great week.

Sit felix. Et sit fortunatus.

1 comment:

Babooshka said...

On age discrimination - it can be justifiable to adopt an age specific approach to vocational training or eduction so long as it is a fair means of achieving a specific aim. If the powers that be can prove it is proportionate and that no other way can be found to achieve the legitimate aim. Do the 'new jobs' include training per chance?

PS. I prefer the word drivel to dribble, then again you may be easily offended.