Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Roadworks ahead

Is it only me...but why can’t I just have my money back?

Have you noticed how many roads are being dug up at the moment? Round where I live it seems like that every road is under construction. And no matter where I seem be going my progress is hindered by temporary traffic lights, road closures and narrow lanes. Motorways, A and B roads, streets, roads, closes, crescents and avenues are all blighted by workmen leaning on shovels and picks.

I thought that maybe in this year of the Olympics we were also hosting the World Road Digging Championships or maybe a Guinness World Record attempt or something.

But no, it seems the answer is maybe a wee bit more prosaic and also stupid at the same time.

For in conversation at the weekend with a Local Authority Apparatchik whom I’m proud to call a friend, it was revealed to me, and this was done without me having to resort to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, that roads were being dug up and taxpayers’ journeys disrupted, not for the common good as might have been supposed, but because the Apparatchiks had money left over as they approached the year end and that consequently the money needed spent.

No it doesn’t.

It might only be me but the money doesn’t need to be spent if it is not needed to be spent. I know that Apparatchiks, whether working for local or central government, and addicted as they are to spending other people’s money,cannot see this but it is possible to give the money back or take less from us in the following and subsequent years.

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once....you do not need to spend my money just because it’s there.

And nor should you base subsequent budgets on what you spent the previous year plus a bit-another reason for spending on unnecessary road works and other stuff being rushed through in the dying days of a financial year.

Have you never heard of zero based budgeting? It is what those of us who are busy creating value each day do when we set budgets. Maybe the Apparatchiks should try it though heaven forbid they should take lessons from the likes of us. Methinks they would rather cut off their arms with a pen knife before they learn from us.

But maybe if they did we wouldn’t have half the country dug up at the same time. It’s just a thought.

Have a great week.

And if these words have got your brain cells working and you want more try www.themarketingcomic.blogspot.com for more. Check out ‘Have I got news for you?’.

Sis felix. Et sis fortunatus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this happens every year just before year end too and I hate it! The basic premise being, as you point out, that they want to spend their budget before the year finishes so that they get the same amount, plus a bit, for the following year. Spend any less and, God forbid, the purse string holders might feel that they've improved efficiency (which would admittedly raise a few eyebrows) and means they can make do with the same amount, less a bit, the following year. I am sure it is why, around the same time each year we see roundabouts being beautified, some additional red/blue/yellow paint being added to a road or pavement and other superfluous works being carried out that really needn't be. If they have money left over they could refund me the PCN I got for the heinous crime of entering a yellow box junction, by just over half a car length, and in so doing causing absolutely no inconvenience or danger to anyone. But that is another rant entirely.

Anonymous said...

So, let us clarify. You don't want your tax money back for an overpayment or for them to even calculate if you've overpaid but you do want your tax money back if they haven't spent it before the end of year splurge? In the words of Cilla Black, "It's make your mind up time chuck."