Search This Blog

Friday 23 March 2012

Things we say

Is it only me...but we do say some really stupid things.

Last week I saw someone turn their house upside and down and inside and out looking for their spectacles or their wallet or some other essential accessory. I cannot quite remember what they were looking for but it was important and nothing was going to move until this item was found.

Cupboards were opened and the contents lifted and checked; cushions were thrown asunder as the sofa was ransacked with great ferocity; papers were strewn around various rooms lest the missing item might be lurking beneath. I was fully expecting full body searches to be the next thing to be done when fortunately the lost article was finally found before the Marigolds were donned.

‘It’s always in the last place you look for it’, said my friend mightily relieved to be re-united with their precious accessory.

Now it might only be me but this is a really stupid thing to say.
Of course the thing you are looking for is always going to be in the last place you look. Who in their right mind is going to keep on looking after they thing they are looking for has been found? Why would you?

It is therefore a statement of the bleeding obvious to find that which is lost in the place you looked in last otherwise you will not have found it because you gave up looking before you got to the last place where you found it; or alternatively you kept looking long after you had found it, though what you would be looking for at this point is beyond me.

It is not just the English language that gives rise to such stupidity-my very good friend Catullus coined many a strange phrase in his poetry. Check it out if you don’t believe me though be prepared for some really strong language.

I am sure there are many other stupid sayings that the folk around you say. I am going to collect these and this may be a subject to which we will return in the coming weeks and months. Please feel free to share with me and my devoted following other examples of stupid things people say.

In meantime have a great week.

And don’t forget to take a look at www.themarketingcomic.blogpost.com for more insightful comment. You know it makes sense.

Sis felix. Et sis fortunatus.

No comments: