Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Seat of learning? My ass.

Is it only me.... But are our children really that much smarter than us?

Those of you who know me well, and I am pleased to say that to remain an enigma it is important that few do, will know that I have hold a long held belief that you can only call yourself a university if it was founded before 1500. In my world anything after that date is merely a polytechnic. Sure it may call itself a university but that does not mean that it is one or deserves to take its place alongside the likes of Padua, Heidelberg, Glasgow.

Naturally I was educated at such an ancient site of learning.

Now some of my acquaintance have scoffed at such reactionary views but news has reached me that vindicates my opinion.

Earlier in week I learnt that the child of one who is known to me has just got a first. Now you might think that this should be cause for celebration. And in my day it would be.

But when I tell you that this young man, who is bright but not especially so, managed this awesome feat by failing to turn up for 2 of his final degree exam papers, you do have to question the rigour of the marking and the challenge of the exam.

Oh, yes, and before I forget the 'university' in a question was in a provincial Yorkshire seaside town and was founded barely 10 years ago. It is hardly Baliol, Oriel or Kings, would you not agree? All seats of learning with pedigree, heritage and class. Unlike the University of E Ba Gum.

Quod erat demonstrandum, methinks.

It surely can't just be me who thinks this is right, can it?

In my day when I was really earning my academic spurs, in a class of about 100, no one got a first, not even yours truly; only six got upper seconds; and the bulk got lower seconds. And we had to sit every paper.

Now there is a chance that the current crop of students are just so much brighter and intellectually superior to my graduate cadre. You only have to see the yoof of today in the workplace to perhaps draw that conclusion (and here I am being deeply caustic).

Alternatively we can draw the conclusion that if awesome degrees are being given out like smarties by jumped up polytechnics, then these places should be stripped forthwith of their university title until and unless they learn to behave like one.

In other words they adopt the standards, mores and rigour of those founded before 1500.

Have a great week. I am now off to sail the seas for the next 10 days.

Sis felix. Et sis fortunatus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'adopt the standards, mores and rigour of those founded before 1500' Hmm? Is that really what we need in the 21st century, Medieval values? Presumably that means no women and only the super rich get the opportunity of 3rd tier education? Well the new funding system will help take care of the second issue but us female graduates like to think we add something to society. (even if it is only being able to read a recipe book or 'Fifty Shades of Grey' to please our men) I take some of your points though on the lack of rigour in exams and it does need addressing. The more fundamental question is what is university for? Are apprenticeships and on-the-job training more appropriate in most jobs. Has your 'superior' education meant you are better at marketing or did you learn as you went along. How much of your success is down to emotional intelligence and your personality? Employers need a way to assess the ability of candidates to learn and retain skills and knowledge. A public school Oxbridge graduate may have a good degree but surely a comprehensive school pupil with a 2:2 from a 'red brick' uni has shown ability to learn too and perhaps with many more hurdles along the way to achieving that degree. Gaudi

Anonymous said...

Happy sailing x