Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 September 2012

And the winner is...

Is it only me…but I don’t like to see good losers.

Like many of you, and despite my cynical reservations, I have been transfixed by the athletes at this summer’s Olympics and Paralympic Games. They have been magnificent, no matter what flag they have wrapped themselves in.

I was asked the other day what I thought of the tantrums and displays of bad losership being displayed by people like Mark Cavendish who blamed everyone but himself for his failure to win gold; Oscar Pistorius complaining that his legs (false) were too short when compared to the winner; and Jason Cundy who threw a real hissy fit just because he was disqualified and not allowed to re-start. I am sure there are other examples of bad sportsmanship on display through the sports fest but these were the most high profile examples.

Was this a case of the athletes believing the hype about them? Were they becoming as big headed and as ego driven as footballers? Was bad losing becoming endemic?

Now it might only be but I like a bad loser. In my book there is no such thing as a good loser-you are still a loser.

It infuriated me to see athletes coming 7th, 8th, last, coming up to the camera all smiles and laughs and telling us all they tried their best but it wasn’t good enough on the day but they have had a wonderful experience.
‘You might have had a wonderful day, love, but you are still a LOSER’, I scream at the TV, ‘is it any wonder you are 7th with that attitude?’

Losing should hurt. It should be the most pain you will ever experience outside child birth or wisdom tooth extraction without anaesthetic. Losing should sear itself across every fibre in your body. And it is the avoidance of pain that should drive you onto succeed.

And that is why I admire the likes of Cavendish, Pistorius and Cundy. They hate losing. They want to win. And that is what makes them ultimately successful.

They are no egotists. They are not big headed. They are not arrogant. They are winners. They are driven to succeed. They don’t take part to come 7th or 8th. They compete to be first. And I wish more of our (losing) athletes came across like them.

And remember this-there is no 'i' in team but there is in winner.

Have a great week. Win lots. Win strong.

Sis felix. Et sis fortunatus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good blog although I disagree with the concept of winners or losers outside of a competition, sporting or otherwise. I know lots of 'winners' in life whom others would see as 'losers' because they are not earning lots or not in a high powered position. I think much depends on the goals you set yourself and if you acheive those then you are a 'winner'. It's the not trying which bothers me greatly. I hate apathy more than anything else in people. Not everyone can win but everyone can try their best. Gaudi