Search This Blog

Thursday 9 February 2012

Above the law

Is it only me...but this is not legal.

I was hoping that these words would provide a safe haven and refuge from all the hysteria surrounding the sacking of England’s Head Honcho in charge of football but sadly we must intervene with some words of wit and caution.

Now to be honest when it comes to England and football I adopt ‘A Gone with the Wind’ approach and quite frankly, I couldn’t give a damn. However it does incense me when despite everything else going on in the world the broadcast media in this country seem to have made the editorial decision that this is the only thing that matters to anyone. Really? And it was for this reason that I was going to ignore it and I apologise to all you good folk for breaching this vow to myself. I am so weak!

Putting to one side the observation that if I was alleged to have made racist remarks in my workplace, I would be suspended forthwith; and ignoring the fact that no one else I know, though I do know very few in this position, has the power to arrange their court schedule to suit their diary; there is one other aspect of this issue that sorely troubles me and provides yet further evidence that football and those who play this game seem to think that they are above the law.

From every corner of the green and pleasant land that many have come to call England, the cry has gone up, with the vigour and emotional loquacity of Henry V before Agincourt, that the next England Head Honcho must be an Englishman.

This is illegal.

Under EU law there is freedom of movement of labour meaning that English jobs cannot be reserved for Englishmen and that any EU national has the right to be considered for any job within the EU. I don’t think, though I might be wrong, that when the various EU treaties incorporating this right were being discussed, that anyone on our side of the discussions negotiated a veto or opt out from this directive for England Head Honchos in charge of soccer.

I also believe UK law also applies here and that women too must be considered for this role and given equal opportunity to apply and be considered. The same applies to every other minority in this country though it baffles me how women can be considered a minority though in world of Soccer Head Honchos operating at a senior level we are still waiting for that Maggie Thatcher moment.

It might only be me but soccer is not above the law and to apply the law in the case of England’s Head Honcho, the best person regardless of gender, race, age and creed must be given the job, provided of course they were born in the EU or have the relevant work permit.

And I offer this advice as a well-meaning Celt who only wants to see England do well! And that was said with all sincerity.

Have a great week.

Sis felix. Et sis fortunatus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments you have expressed about the media obsession with English football team. (I feel duty bound to 'out' myself as a Celt too.) However I was so angry at the rolling news on this. People are being massacred in Syria, British soldiers are dying in Afghanistan, we are struggling with a stagnant economy and yet our media obsess on this. I may feel differntly were I English but I doubt it very much. Gaudi

Anonymous said...

To take this argument to the completely logical conclusion, why then is it OK to have the whole England playing team made up only of Englishmen? Come to think of it, the Olympics. Whole teams made up only of one nation's best talent. The Nritish Nonsense Party must be in on it. This is shocking and probably not just a matter of employment law but no doubt one of human rights infringements too. Someone get me a lawyer!

Anonymous said...

By Nritish I do of course mean British. How very embarrassing.