Search This Blog

Monday 20 February 2012

This land is my land

Is it only me...but I think it’s time to set my people free.

As has been said many times before I originate from north of the Wall of Hadrian and because of this one question has dominated conversation with friends and foes in recent weeks-will I vote for independence?

And so this week I want to set everyone’s mind at rest for once and all and broadcast quite clearly my intent. No doubt this shot will be heard around the world just like the one fired at Lexington that triggered the American War of Independence.

I must point one thing out though- as a long term resident of the land to the south of the Wall of Hadrian I will not have a vote in the forthcoming electoral contest despite being as Scottish as haggis and clootie dumpling. There is a therefore a risk that should my fellow country people vote yes and send the Two Caesars homewards to think again, I face the prospect of being effectively stateless. It also means that my considered thoughts and views on the Scots right to self-determination are hypothetical.

And so to answer the question. And just like Meg Ryan in ‘When Harry met Sally’ my answer has to be ‘yes...Yes...YES!’

Now that might come as a surprise to you that I would advocate that the lands north of the Wall of Hadrian should be set free but why shouldn’t they be if that is what the people really really want and I believe that they should want this.

It is a heart thing and not a head thing though there are no doubt plenty of good reasons why we as a nation can stand alone, after all there are many countries smaller than us and with fewer resources who manage perfectly well to stand on their own two feet.

But more importantly we are a nation with a clear and separate identity and with many of the instruments of nationhood. We have a proud and independent history. We are awash in natural resources. We have a highly educated people despite the best efforts of Westminster to ruin this. We have our own church; our own laws, legal system and approach to jurisprudence; and most importantly a distinctive and idiosyncratic culinary experience.

So why should we not seek independent nationhood?

It might only be me but I do find it a certain irony that the Two Caesars are prepared to send Betty’s grandson, William, and our latest piece of naval hardware, half way round the world to defend the right of the Penguins in the South Atlantic to remain British and to uphold the principle of self-determination, and yet when it comes to the peoples of Scotland while we can have self-determination it will be on London’s terms. Could it be something to do with oil? I wonder.

Or maybe it is all about water given that the Scots are up their oxters in stuff while the pampered English in the south east are squealing about droughts. Maybe they should look at the Horn of Africa to see what a drought really looks like.

It is also worth mentioning that by making it difficult for the Scots to exercise their rights the Two Caesars are coming close to flouting international law. I wonder if they know that article 15 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights guarantees that everyone has the right to a nationality and that no one should be arbitrarily deprived of a nationality or denied the right to change nationality. Do you think I should tell them?

But no matter what I think, I hae ma doobts if we will say aye to the chance to run oor ain affairs.

Have a great week.

And if you want to know why tight briefs are preferable to big briefs check out The Marketing Comic at www.themarketingcomic.blogspot.com. Go on, you know you want to.

Sis felix. Et sis fortunatus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Typical of many non-resident Scots. Yes to Independence but for God's sake don't make me live there! And since when are you a fan of the European Convention on Human Rights? Oh the times they are a changing.

Don't want Scotland to break away. I loathe nationalism in all forms and we should be looking at what binds us together not what separates us. Gaudi